Sunday, August 21, 2011

Week 11: Cookie Dough

The sorbets are always easy as they are mostly fruit based, but this was one of the easiest ice creams so far. No tempering of eggs and no prior refrigeration of the mixture required. Just milk, heavy cream, sugar syrup, vanilla extract, and of course cookie dough.

The few things I can say is that if you are looking for a simple yet satisfying treat to serve up quick, this might be it. And if you have kids or company coming and you want to look cool, just make this simple vanilla base and put anything you want in it. It looks like you took a lot of time to prepare, but didn't. This is such a basic recipe that will please even the pickiest person. It may be very hard for me to go back to store bought ice cream. The ingredients used to make this were so inexpensive and it took very little time or effort. What I like most about homemade ice cream is that you don't have all the preservatives and processed ingredients. It's clean eating to me. I'm sure if you wanted to make it really healthy you could use agave syrup and organic milk. Not sure if this would change the texture. But it might be worth a try.

Some people may worry about the raw cookie dough in this, but I'm not. I've eaten raw cookie dough most of my life and I'm still here obviously. Knock on wood, it's never made me sick. Cookie dough is made with pasteurized eggs. It's probably the only way it could sit on the grocery store shelf for more than a couple days. Plus I kept it refrigerated the entire time.

Sometimes I wish every recipe was this simple. I think I am getting lazier as this goes on. I'll try not too. I would love to just make the ice cream and have someone write the blog part for me. But I'll try to make a conscious effort to make these posts more exciting.

Till next time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kendra! First off, I'm so jealous of your coworkers.! Fresh ice cream every week?! You sure do spoil them!
    But I was really inspired to write a comment from your mentioning of organic milk. I've been drinking organic milk for a while now, and I can say that it most definitely has a more rich and creamy taste than normal milk. 1% tastes like drinking 2%, and I'm imagining 2% probably tastes like whole milk. So I was thinking, it might be a nice idea to try it, especially if you just make a simple vanilla. I bet you'll taste the difference!
    Another great thing about organic milk .... it has an incredibly long expiration date. So for those of you who can never get through your milk before it expires. Go organic! It's a bit more expensive, but if you're throwing out milk every week, it may save you $$.
    Thanks!
    -Brie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...